(Noun) A piece of stuff pleated and puckered on a gown or petticoat; a flounce; the pleated border of a petticoat or gown. Now often in plural as a contemptuous term for showy ornaments or trimming, especially in a lady’s dress.

In Context

“Those dresses are good, sensible, serviceable dresses, without any frills or furbelows about them, and they’re all you’ll get this summer.”

L. M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables, 1908.